Tuesday, January 3, 2012

In Dreams Begin Responsibilities

I have something of a dilemma at the moment. Its a good dilemma to have however, but its causing me to think (always a dangerous thing!)... The dilemma comes about from the fact that, through a series of events, discussions, conversations and meetings, and after a significant amount of prayer, I, along with a few other people, believe we have caught a small glimpse of God's plan for the future - a dream of His future, or perhaps a vision

This is not the place to reveal to the details of this future - but this vision is, as you might expect of any such vision, a little bit edgy, possibly slightly risky, and definitely controversial. Its also dynamic, exciting, positive and forward-looking... and there is absolutely no doubt in my mind that it is the will of God.

So far, there is no dilemma. The difficulty comes with what to do about it. Should I, accepting that this is God's will, that he is all-powerful and that he can do all things, decide that my part is therefore to pray and commit this to Him, trusting that by his Will it will come about, despite the controversy and difficulty that it may run in to.

And yet, assuming all of us who believe this is God's will take the same path, then how will this come to pass. Short of God's miraculous intervention, which I admit may happen, but isn't likely to if it would involve the over-riding of our free will, then surely nothing will change. So should I be acting on this vision, taking every opportunity to make sure it comes about? But then, am I not guilty of assuming that God needs me to make this happen, and does that not bring into question his power and authority?

This then is the dilemma... and its one that I think wiser heads than I have faced over many years. At first glance the solution appears to be in the statement
“Pray as though everything depended on God. Work as though everything depended on you.”

which is variously (and probably incorrectly) attributed to St. Augustine of Hippo, St. Ignatius and Francis Cardinal Spellman... and yet, in fact doesn't that actually assume both the unsatisfactory implications associated with the two options... and that we can overcome those shortcomings either through prayer or through hard-work on our part - it doesn't actually offer a satisfactory answer.

Having said that I think the actual practical result of this statement - faithfully and trustingly taking it to God in prayer and praying honestly and genuinely "Your Will be done", whilst actively persuing any opportunity that presents itself to make sure that happens is probably the right one. Perhaps the better way to look at it is that God has revealed this direction to us because he wants us to be an active part of this process and therefore we should be fully engaged in it, but at the same time, I need to remember that it is his plan and He is in control -- and I should therefore be praying without ceasing that - after all, if He was relying on flawed, fallen, human me to get it done, then lots of prayer would definately be in order!!

No comments:

Post a Comment