Wednesday, January 4, 2012

I Will Sing, Sing A New Song

I waited patiently for the LORD; 
   he turned to me and heard my cry. 
He lifted me out of the slimy pit, 
   out of the mud and mire; 
he set my feet on a rock 
   and gave me a firm place to stand. 
He put a new song in my mouth, 
   a hymn of praise to our God. 
Many will see and fear the LORD 
   and put their trust in him.

Christmas this year has been a real blessing for me. Despite the busy-ness, I have honestly managed this Christmas to stop and reflect on the miracle of the incarnation, to wonder at the mystery of the almighty God in the body of a vulnerable, innocent baby and to look ahead to the ultimate destination of that Child, the cross. Wow!

Do not withhold your mercy from me, LORD; 
   may your love and faithfulness always protect me. 
For troubles without number surround me; 
   my sins have overtaken me, and I cannot see. 
They are more than the hairs of my head, 
   and my heart fails within me. 


And yet, in just two days, I can feel myself slipping, I can feel the pressure and grind of everyday life growing around me once again and I can see myself forgetting that wonder and mystery again. How easy it is to forget the amazing things God has done for us, in such a short time.

But as for me, I am poor and needy; 
   may the Lord think of me. 
You are my help and my deliverer; 
   you are my God, do not delay.

Thankfully, even though I'm pretty useless at remembering, God doesn't leave me alone. He is my strength, my helper, my deliverer, he won't forget me, and he will keep on giving me a new song to sing!


(Bible verses from Psalm 40, NIV version)

No comments:

Post a Comment