Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Believing in yourself almost as much as you doubt

In a previous blog I talked about how I believed God had given me a vision for the future... a vision of the way he wanted to move in a particular situation. But I knew it was going to be a long process, and take a lot of time and effort making sure first of all that I was right, and secondly that other people, people who would be profoundly effected by this vision, would be willing and able to "come along for the ride" - that they too would recognise that this really was something from God, not the over enthusiastic desire of my heart. 


Well, things are moving forward, slowly but surely, and more and more things are coming together, convincing me that my original understanding was correct, with more and more people catching the vision and beginning to be excited by this thing. But, there's still a long way to go - and during this time, I'll admit that I've struggled, wondering if I really was right in my conviction - and not really daring to believe that actually, this could happen! Don't get me wrong, I wasn't doubting God.... I was doubting myself, doubting that I'd really heard the right thing, and perhaps not really wanting to believe, in case I was let down. 


In this waiting, I've been reminded of the story of Simeon. Simeon was an old man, who had received a promise, a promise from God, that he would not die until he saw the coming of the Lord's Messiah - a much bigger and even more exciting promise that the one I am waiting for. And, whilst its difficult to know for sure, the impression I get is that Simeon had been waiting a long time, much longer than a few months.... 


In that time, I'd like to think that he too had his doubts, but maybe that's just my wishful thinking. But doubts or no doubts, Simeon hold onto that promise, to the point that, when prompted by the spirit on that long awaited day, he went to the temple, there to see the baby Jesus.


And then, when he saw the child, he recognised him! Despite the fact that the Jews of the day where expected their Messiah to be a military leader, come to overthrow the Romans, and free the Jewish people from their oppression... yet here was a helpless, innocent baby... But Simeon was not disappointed, no, instead he opened up in praise and worship of God, and was given a new prophecy, not for himself but for the parents of the   child. Things didn't necessarily come about the way he expected, but Simeon was enough of a Man of God to recognise the way He was moving... wow!


So, now, with things moving slowly but surely, I need to follow the example of Simeon, and hold faithfully to the promise I have had from God... and trust him to work things out, and to keep his promises, even if its not in the way I expect!   

No comments:

Post a Comment