Friday, January 6, 2012

I Give You Back My Voice

I came across the kind of time-wasting webpage that appeals to the techie-geek in me earlier. Its called Wordle.... and it takes a text feed (for example a blog, like this one) and makes a word cloud from it... a pictoral representation ranking the most commonly used words by scaling the words according to their prominence in the blog... so basically, the more often a word is used, the larger it appears. So, mainly because I could, I thought I'd run it for this blog. The output looks like this (or at least it did when I ran it, it should change over time - the live version can be found here):-



I probably shouldn't have been, but I was surprised, and pleased by the prominence of the word "God", because one of the things I hoped this blog would do was give me a place where I could be more open about my faith, a place where I could start to talk openly about what I believe.

But in a way, its easy in a blog... because I can hide behind the anonymity of a computer screen. I wonder what a "word cloud" of my everyday life would look like. Would God be as prominent as he should be, or would he be crowded out by the mundane? And if not, that what do I need to do to ensure I am truly living a God-centred life?

Questions to reflect and pray on I feel - but in the mean time, I have added a gadget to this page which will link to the live version of this word cloud, so I have a tool to make sure this blog at least stays focussed on Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment