Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Its also a thought that changed the World...

The Economist magazine recently published an article, challenging the role of the Church (in this case the Church of England) in our new "Austerity" Britain -- which raises some very interesting questions, and of course, as if the want of journalists, makes no real attempt to answer them...

http://www.economist.com/node/21541399

Most telling is the closing paragraph, which suggests the church needs to provide something more "more spiky and distinctive than social democracy in a clerical collar". I'm not sure about the church needing to be more "spiky", but the need to be distinctive is something with which I whole-heartedly agree. 

Now, before I go any further, let me re-iterate that I do believe social action is a vital part of my faith, and that care for the poor, the disadvantaged, the down-trodden is absolutely central to Christianity. I've already blogged once on the subject and no doubt its a subject that I will return to in the future. It saddens me that in the past, so many evangelical Christians have forgotten this truth and dismissed any kind of social justice as wishy-washy liberal theology.

But I believe the church, the gathered believers in Jesus Christ, has a duty, a God-given duty in fact, to go further than simply offering social justice. Because we have found his grace, his undeserved, unconditional loving grace, which changes and transforms lives, and ultimately changes the world. 


Grace, which brings justice, freedom, equality, inclusion to all those who choose it. Sure, it may not be the same kind of justice, freedom, equality or inclusion that people think they are looking for - it certainly wasn't what the First Century Jews expected, and its probably not what the Occupy London protesters think they are looking for. But God's lavish and abundant Grace is what we all need.


There's so much I could say about Grace, and I probably will in the future.. but for now, to return to the Economist's conclusion, or lack of one, then surely, if the Church (be it of England, or anywhere else) is truly serious about becoming more relevant, and being a source of "national strength", shouldn't it be through living, breathing and acting out a lifestyle of Grace?

No comments:

Post a Comment