Friday, December 2, 2011

I Still Haven't Found....

"I believe in the kingdom come,
Then all the colors will bleed into one
But yes I'm still running

You broke the bonds and you
Loosed the chains
Carried the cross
Of my shame
You know I believe it

But I still haven't found what I'm looking for
..."

I've been a U2 fan for a long time, and, whilst I love the music, its Bono's lyrics which really speak to me and get me thinking. And just recently, the last verse of "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For..." (above) has been giving me a lot to think about...

The thing is, I'm proud to be a Christian. And I'm certain of what I believe in (the Evangelical Alliance Basis of Faith is probably as good a summary as any for the time being). But within these confines, I have questions.... oh, so many questions! If I think about it my life and my faith as a journey, then whilst the ultimate destination is certain, I've got no idea of the twists and turns that are going to take me there!

And, though that may not always be the most comfortable place to be in, I'm glad that I still have questions - because actually, I don't ever want to become complacent. When I become complacent, when I stop asking questions, thats when I stop looking to God for the answers, and thats when my faith becomes nothing more than cold religiosity.


Because God is bigger than I can understand. His ways are so different and foreign to me, that actually, if I ever think I completely, fully understand him, if I ever think I don't need to keep searching, to keep asking questions, to keep looking at things afresh, then frankly, I've lost the plot...

So, this blog is a place where I can ask questions - where I can explore the twists and turns of my journey with God, trusting that what he plans is for the best, even if it seems difficult, even if I don't understand it. I may talk about faith, I may talk about family life, I may talk about current affairs.... I'm not sure yet. How long it'll last, how often I will post, whether anyone will read it are all also unanswered questions at the moment.... but maybe ones that will become apparent soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment