Friday, April 6, 2012

I Was There When They Crucified My Lord...


The Easter Story by Joseph, aged 6... Click to enlarge



"I was there when they
crucified my Lord
I held the scabbard when the
soldier drew his sword
I threw the dice when they
pierced his side
But I've seen love conquer
the great divide"
-- When Love Comes to Town
             By U2 and BB King

I was there at Jesus' trial, with the false witnesses who came forward to make up lies and testify against him. I was there with Peter, and I too denied ever knowing Jesus. And I still am, every time I stay silent and do not speak out for my Lord when I know I should.

I was there with crowd, demanding the release of a terrorist, whilst the King of Glory stood there imprisoned. I was there, my voice shouting "Crucify him". And "Crucify him" I still cry out everytime I expect God to work on my terms, every time I decide what he should be doing and limit him to my understanding of the world.

I was there with Pilate, washing my hands and allowing the crowd to have their way... and still I refuse to accept responsibility for my own actions, seek to pass the blame to someone else, to anyone else, and, if no-one else can be blamed, I seek to blame God.

I was there with the soldiers as they mocked and beat Him, with the crowd who hurled insults, with the criminal crucified beside Him. And each and every time I fail to show love to those around me, everytime I fail to listen to God and don't what He wants, everytime I fall short of His perfect ways, I just throw more insults at Him, heap more pain and abuse on Him.

It was my actions, my rebellion, my sin which meant Jesus, the Son of God, the Lord of Everything, was nailed to a Cross and died there in agony. As much as I don't want to admit it, as much as it pains me and saddens me, the truth of the matter is that it was for me that He chose the agony and anguish of the cross. The truth that He chose that for each and every person doesn't lessen my guilt, because He would have made the same choice, even if I was the only person in the whole world.

I was there when he died, as the world was plunged into darkness. I was there when the curtain of the temple was torn from top to bottom, the divide between God and man conquered by His actions. I was there when He took all the things I have done, and all the things I will do, onto Himself, when His death satisfied the wrath of God and allowed His grace and mercy to flow freely to me, the worst of sinners.
  
Then too, I was there with His disciples, watching His death, not understanding, seeing His anguish, weeping and disparing, my hope gone. I was there in the darkness, in the time of doubt and uncertainty.

But I have a hope that they did not have. It doesn't all end here and now.

For although it is Friday and all seems dark, Sunday is coming...

1 comment:

  1. Wow, brilliantly chilling and true. Amen. Just read it out loud to my parents and Rich. Everyone went silent.

    ReplyDelete