Friday, March 16, 2012

We Get to Carry Each Other...

NOTE: THIS BLOG WAS WRITTEN BEFORE THE NEWS OF HIS RETIREMENT WAS PUBLISHED - IN FACT, IT WAS AS I WENT TO LOOK FOR A PICTURE TO ILLUSTRATE IT THAT I SPOTTED THE NEWS... I HAVE LEFT WHAT WAS WRITTEN UNCHANGED.   

I have to admit, I haven't always been the biggest fan of Archbishop of Canterbury Rowan Williams. I don't agree with some of the things he says, and I have a number of issues with various parts of the church of which he is the head. I'm sure that doesn't bother him greatly... and I'm sure if I ever got the chance he'd happily debate those issues with me and explain why he thinks I'm wrong, probably with a lot more grace and humility than I would manage in explaining my position to him.

The thing is, even though I do disagree with him on some issues, there is one thing at least in which I agree wholeheartedly with him, which is the need for the church, and for individuals within the church to recognise their many faults and failings, to recognise that, as they get things wrong, it is God who puts things right again, and above all to work together for His greater purposes. I came across this quote which says it much better than I can:-

"The church is holy not because it is a gathering of the good and the well-behaved, but because it speaks of the triumph of grace in the coming together of strangers and sinners who, miraculously, trust one another enough to join in common repentance and common praise—to express a deep and elusive unity in Jesus Christ, who is our righteousness and sanctification. Humanly speaking, holiness is always like this: God’s endurance in the middle of our refusal of him, his capacity to meet every refusal with the gift of himself."

Its not that I think differences in doctrine, in belief, in church practice don't matter - I think these things are very important. But in comparison to the truth the we are all sinners, who all need the redeeming power of God's love and grace, all the time, in everything we do, then these things pale into insignificance.

We have our differences, and will continue to do so. Those differences may be large scale differences between "denominations", or on a much smaller scale, differences of opinion within an individual congregation (no doubt many people have heard the "joke" that if you've got 3 Baptists in a room, you'll have at least 4 different opinions on any issue...) But thats OK - there's nothing wrong with differences of opinion, until those differences become divisions.

As long as we are able to put those things aside, to come together to worship and listen to the God who made each and everyone of us in his image, and to love, cherish and help each other in the difficult times, then those differences can actually make us stronger, as we grow and learn and change together.

I think Archbishop Williams would agree - and I respect him for that, even as I disagree on other issues. 

1 comment:

  1. I will be very interested to see how the "new earth" will work with all of our differences and yet all living for the Godhead perfectly and sinlessly. Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete