Tuesday, February 14, 2012

And Love Is Not the Easy Thing

So, its Valentines' Day.... the day we celebrate love and flowers and hearts and all that kind of soppy thing. Even the canteen at work is trying to use the day to increase sales, offering, (I kid you not) a "Raunchy New York Deli" menu today....  

But what do we really mean by Love? As a culture, the western world has (in my opinion), a pretty low view of love - more often than not confusing it with romance and with sex - when really, love is so much more.

Not that I'm knocking romance, that is, because romance has its place (I have to say that as Sarah is no doubt going to read this!), but this is what I want to mean when I talk about Love:-

"Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonour others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

Love never fails"

A very different view of love, and one that is much harder than the view we so often see in the films, a view where love is easy, where everything is alright when you're in love, and where, when you don't love someone anymore, thats okay, because you can just move in to the next one.

But the real love I have experienced is not just about our romantic partners. Real love, self-sacrificing, trusting, hoping, persevering love is what I have received through Jesus, and thats the kind of love that I want to see more of, to show more, to live more of in my life. And thats not easy at all.

But I can try and make a start. Tonight is our church meeting (not the most romantic of events for Valentine's Day, and one which means I'll be leaving Sarah at home on her own) - and we will be discussing some big issues - things which effect our future as a church, and things which effect the lives of real people. My hope and prayer is that as those discussions happen, as we meet, pray, discuss, debate and come to decisions together, all of us, and myself most of all will remember the love we have received and seek to share it with those around us, not to act out of pride, anger or in our service.  


No comments:

Post a Comment